Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Color and Light- Chapter 1

I loved learning about the Old Masters' color- it's amazing to me that they were able to manipulate color so well out of so few pigments compared to what we have today! I'm sure they were able to do this only because of the deep understanding they had of each color's properties and characteristics.

In developing the science of perception, artists began to realize that colors are affected in their perception by the colors and atmosphere surrounding them. New tools such as expanded pigment palette, and collapsible paint tubes for plein air painting allowed artists to enhance their color and light.

Something I noticed in looking through the pictures (which I LOVED) is that the artists do such a great job of keeping either lights cool and shadows warm, or vice versa. It seems like such a small thing, but makes such a huge difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment