Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Chapter 9- Atmospheric Effects

I feel smarter knowing I can now tell people why the sky is blue. :) Or at least put a name to it- Rayleigh scattering. I haven't painted too many landscapes, but I plan to start experimenting, so knowing what Gurney said about the gradation of the sky horizontally as well as vertically in value is very helpful! And even though he said that reverse atmospheric perspective is rare in nature, I think it's so amazingly beautiful and really want to implement it in some of my paintings.
Also- I didn't even know shadowbeams existed!! It makes me wonder if I've seen them, but just not realized it? Dappled light and cloud shadows have always really impressed me in paintings where the painter does a good job of making them believable- they can add a lot to a scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment