Friday, February 6, 2015

Chapter 3- Light and Form

Something I'm learning and trying to apply from this chapter is the concept of how light affects what we see of the form. For example, high detail and texture are most easily seen in the light and half tone areas of the form, while little texture is seen in the shadow area. I think it's natural for us to want to paint or draw the form having the same texture (because we know it's there, and maybe can see it a little) all through the form, while it would be much more striking and read more clearly if we kept high detail in the light, and left shadow areas flat. This in fact makes the form even more dimensional.

I realized as I read this chapter, that I don't pay much attention to the light source, shadow source, or other things that really do play major roles in the way light is cast on a form. Now that I've read about and seen the difference it can make, I'm excited to think more deeply about the light and shadow  sources that will affect my piece before I even jump into creating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment