Thursday, February 19, 2015

Chapter 4- Elements of Color


I began reading this chapter, thinking that I knew what was going on when I saw all the color wheels. But no! There’s a lot more to color wheels than I realized. I  didn’t know there were so many different ways to represent the color spectrum… It makes me wonder which is best? It sounds like Munsell’s color wheel is the preferred color wheel for artists, but I’m not sure. Also, I think it’s interesting that each color reaches peak chroma at different values.  I saw a three-dimensional Munsell color chart in one of my classes this last week, and thought I would love to buy one someday!! But now the more I learn, the more I wonder if it would be better to paint my own so I can understand it all better. I also love what Gurney shared about grays- more paintings fail from not having enough neutrals than too many! “Better gray than garish.” –Ingres I also learned a lot about how to handle greens well- I’ve always had trouble with them as well, so I’m glad he addressed using different shades, smuggling reds, and other methods to use greens effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment