Friday, February 6, 2015

Color is cool! :)

I just made a huge break-through discovery in my head painting class- you can paint a blonde woman without using yellow! ....What?! Crazy, I know. I was pretty blown away myself. :) Our teacher told us to use limited palette with only ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, and white. When our blonde model sat down in front of us, I just thought to myself- blonde. That's not going to happen today, sorry. But I went to work, making my background a cool blue in hopes that it would bring warmth to her face and hair. I experimented with the colors I had available, and although they didn't look blonde on my palette, they did in the painting!

Why? Because of color relativity. I don't know everything about it, in fact, I feel like I'm just discovering it, but it's a real thing that can make burnt sienna, white, and blue look almost yellow when they're surrounded with the right colors. Now I feel like my eyes are open to the true colors I'm seeing, as well as understanding why they look the way they do based on the warmth or coolness of the colors they are surrounded by. As an artist, I can better manipulate warms and cools in my work by focusing on the relativity of color within my piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment